CONSTRUCTION OF WIGNER-SEITZ CELLS
To create a Wigner-Seitz cell simply complete the following
- Choose any lattice site as the origin.
- Starting at the origin draw vectors to all neighbouring
- Construct a plane perpendicular to and passing through
the midpoint of each vector.
- The area enclosed by these planes is the Wigner-Seitz
The Wigner-Seitz cells have the following characteristics:
- Wigner-Seitz cells associated with all lattice points are
identical in size, shape and orientation as follows with
the translational symmetry of the lattice.
- When stacked the Wigner-Seitz cells fill all space.
- The Wigner-Seitz cell is a polyhedron.
- The Wigner-Seitz cell has the full point symmetry of its
Prepared by Laura Malcolm -- last update :
March 27, 1997